I’m dusting off my blog because I may use it for an upcoming Read-A-Thon.
I cannot believe the last time I wrote here was in February, what a failing on my part! But where has that time gone?
I’ve been working a lot in the garden, this being the first full year I’ve had the greenhouse, so, to make up for so few entries, I’ll post some photos instead….
So, that’s about all for now, but I’ll try not to be so long in updating next time, especially if I do have a go at the Read-A-Thon.
1. I’ve started borrowing downloadable audio books from the library. I can listen to them whilst doing my cross stitching, which is really relaxing. The first one I borrowed was a bit of a letdown, because it just wasn’t a story that captured me at all, so I returned it and tried something else, which I’m now really enjoying, so I can see this becoming a regular thing.
2. I gave up watching Elementary. I watched the first few episodes, but it got quite samey, so when I found out there were 6 dvds in the series I decided to quit before I’d invested too much time and felt obliged to watch the whole lot. I started season 2 of Revenge instead; have only watched the first ep, but I think I’ll stick with it. Also saw a trailer for Once Upon A Time. I have no idea how I’ve never seen this series because it looks like something I would really be into, so I may get that next.
3. I’m still reading Wizard And Glass. It’s a great story. I love Cuthbert and Alain, and am so involved with their story that every so often it suddenly hits me that it mustn’t end well for them, as Roland is telling his new ka-tet the story of his past, and Cuthbert and Alain are no longer around. Not good.
4. I need some work doing on my car. I’ve shopped around for prices, and have gone from almost £700 to £260!! How can that even be?!?! It’s mad – the same car, the same work, and yet such a massive difference in price. I must admit, when that first price estimate came through my heart sank a little, so I was very pleased to get the lower estimate.
5. Despite the freezing cold and pouring rain I ventured down to the greenhouse to see how the plants in there are getting on. I have a potted hydrangea and was really pleased to see it’s got fresh green shoots already. Everything else looks healthy too. Urgh, I really hate not being able to mess around in the garden. I will be so glad when the winter weather is done with and the nights start drawing out again.
1. My cat came in the other night with a long bleeding scratch and a massive chunk of fur missing from behind his ear. It probably happened as a result of a fight (again!). Looks like he’s started the new year as he means to go on, and yet normally he’s such a calm cat!
2. Further cat-shaped developments – he ended up at the vets because there was a lump behind his ear as well as the missing fur; turns out he had an abscess, which had to be lanced and resulted in an overnight stay at the vets so they could deal with the wound. Not nice! I was SO glad to get him back home.
3. I’ve been listening to Tonight by David Bowie. I first listened to it on New Year’s Eve, and it’s been the album I’ve been playing into the New Year as well. It’s really good. I don’t know why I haven’t listened to it before. I was reading about Bowie’s No. 1 albums, and Tonight was mentioned, and that was what made me play it for the first time. I love I Keep Forgettin’, Tonight and God Only Knows, but if you asked me tomorrow I’d probably name some of the other tracks, because there isn’t a dud song on there.
4. I couldn’t resist starting work on my Aurora cross stitch. It’s such a lovely design that I HAD to start it, although blending filament is horrible stuff to work with! Luckily, there isn’t too much of it. I’m thinking of getting a q-snap frame to hold my fabric taut, as the hoops I’m using at the moment leave really deep indentations in the fabric, which is difficult to work over when you reach that point in the stitching.
5. And Finally… today is my DAY OFF!! I wanted to get my time in so I don’t lose it, so I’ve had today and after finishing writing here I’m off out to the garden and craft centre, to see what I can find in the sales…
THE GREENHOUSE IS COMPLETE!!!
What a project it turned out to be! Putting the glass in turned into a major event, not least when overnight, for no apparent reason at all, a panel cracked. We had a couple of spares, but, wouldn’t you know it, we cracked those too, trying to get them in place. The upside of all this; we now know where to buy replacement panes for a reasonable price.
We ran out of fixing clips as well, so couldn’t complete the glazing until they sent another pack out. In the end though it was all complete, and all that’s left to do is the planting…
…which I have started. Am eagerly watching for any signs of life from my seed trays. I don’t know whether I’ll have any success because it’s a little late to be starting, but all the seeds I’ve used have been freebies anyway, so it doesn’t matter too much. It’s all going to be a bit experimental at this stage, as all this is totally new to me.
I bought my figures for the patio – a dragon, a gnome and a hedgehog. I’ve also bought some solar lights and I want a little fence for the edge of the slabs. The man is coming to do the paving tomorrow, so it really is almost finished now, just in time for summer.
I’ll post some photos once everything is done.
I bought a new cross stitch kit. I really don’t need any more, I probably already have more than I’ll ever have time to do, but I couldn’t resist…
I’m going to try and resist starting this one until my latest work is finished, because I have so many projects that I start but never get round to finishing.