1. I’ve started working on my cross stitch again. I’d done so much that I had to have a rest for a while because my hands and fingers were aching so much. I find it really relaxing, working on my stitching. Sometimes I’ll listen to some music (most often David Bowie these days) while I work. I’ve also joined the library and started borrowing audiobooks from them, so I’ve listened to a couple of those whilst working too, which is really good.
2. I used to think thunder and lightning was the worst weather, i was always scared of the lightning, but after the hammering of wind and rain we’ve had over recent days has changed my mind. Wind is definitely pretty bad; it’s so destructive and relentless. I don’t think I’ve ever experienced anything quite like the storms of this week, and yet there are so many people who are worse off; all those in flood hit areas. It’s awful to see it on the news each day. I have family who live in one of the worst affected areas, but so far they’re managing to avoid being flooded out. I can remember during the last heavy floods a few years back my dad’s aunt was flooded out and had to be evacuated from her house by helicopter, no small thing for a woman in her late 80s at the time!
3. I have this sudden urge to write fiction. This comes over me once in a blue moon, and usually ends in me dabbling in some kind of fan fiction. If it goes any further than just the thinking, I may set up another journal to post my writing. I used to have a profile on some fanfic website, but whether that’s still active I have no idea. One of these days I will have to try and write something original.
4. The new season of Game Of Thrones is out on dvd!! I’m having a marathon of seasons 1 and 2 before starting season 3. This serves two purposes; it’s a good recap for what’s already happened, and I usually get the boxset for my birthday, which is March, so I couldn’t watch it now anyway! I absolutely love the books that the series is based on.
5. Back to writing the five things idea – I wasn’t exactly keeping up with the regular blogging idea otherwise. This should motivate me again.
1. My cat came in the other night with a long bleeding scratch and a massive chunk of fur missing from behind his ear. It probably happened as a result of a fight (again!). Looks like he’s started the new year as he means to go on, and yet normally he’s such a calm cat!
2. Further cat-shaped developments – he ended up at the vets because there was a lump behind his ear as well as the missing fur; turns out he had an abscess, which had to be lanced and resulted in an overnight stay at the vets so they could deal with the wound. Not nice! I was SO glad to get him back home.
3. I’ve been listening to Tonight by David Bowie. I first listened to it on New Year’s Eve, and it’s been the album I’ve been playing into the New Year as well. It’s really good. I don’t know why I haven’t listened to it before. I was reading about Bowie’s No. 1 albums, and Tonight was mentioned, and that was what made me play it for the first time. I love I Keep Forgettin’, Tonight and God Only Knows, but if you asked me tomorrow I’d probably name some of the other tracks, because there isn’t a dud song on there.
4. I couldn’t resist starting work on my Aurora cross stitch. It’s such a lovely design that I HAD to start it, although blending filament is horrible stuff to work with! Luckily, there isn’t too much of it. I’m thinking of getting a q-snap frame to hold my fabric taut, as the hoops I’m using at the moment leave really deep indentations in the fabric, which is difficult to work over when you reach that point in the stitching.
5. And Finally… today is my DAY OFF!! I wanted to get my time in so I don’t lose it, so I’ve had today and after finishing writing here I’m off out to the garden and craft centre, to see what I can find in the sales…
THE GREENHOUSE IS COMPLETE!!!
What a project it turned out to be! Putting the glass in turned into a major event, not least when overnight, for no apparent reason at all, a panel cracked. We had a couple of spares, but, wouldn’t you know it, we cracked those too, trying to get them in place. The upside of all this; we now know where to buy replacement panes for a reasonable price.
We ran out of fixing clips as well, so couldn’t complete the glazing until they sent another pack out. In the end though it was all complete, and all that’s left to do is the planting…
…which I have started. Am eagerly watching for any signs of life from my seed trays. I don’t know whether I’ll have any success because it’s a little late to be starting, but all the seeds I’ve used have been freebies anyway, so it doesn’t matter too much. It’s all going to be a bit experimental at this stage, as all this is totally new to me.
I bought my figures for the patio – a dragon, a gnome and a hedgehog. I’ve also bought some solar lights and I want a little fence for the edge of the slabs. The man is coming to do the paving tomorrow, so it really is almost finished now, just in time for summer.
I’ll post some photos once everything is done.
I bought a new cross stitch kit. I really don’t need any more, I probably already have more than I’ll ever have time to do, but I couldn’t resist…
I’m going to try and resist starting this one until my latest work is finished, because I have so many projects that I start but never get round to finishing.